Thursday, January 11, 2018

Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane

Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane. (Mr. Putter and Tabby #5) Cynthia Rylant. Illustrated by Arthur Howard. 1997. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 44 pages. [Source: Library]

 First sentence: Mr. Putter loved toys. He was old, and he knew that he wasn't supposed to love toys anymore. But he did. When Mr. Putter and his fine cat, Tabby, drove into town, they always stopped at the toy store.

Premise/plot: Mr. Putter LOVES toys. Tabby doesn't love toys--especially toys that do something. But she loves Mr. Putter. This chapter book is about when Mr. Putter buys a radio control airplane.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I love Mr. Putter. I really love Tabby. My favorite part was when Mr. Putter decided to give away his new plane to a little boy--a shy boy, a clumsy boy--who reminded him of himself. The writing continues to impress.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: