Thursday, November 9, 2017

Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty. Cynthia Rylant. Illustrated by Erin McGuire. 2017. Disney-Hyperion. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Many see Time as a friend, and many see Time as a foe. But for a sleeping beauty, Time was a promise.

Premise/plot: Cynthia Rylant retells the fairy tale, Sleeping Beauty, in a new picture book beautifully illustrated by Erin McGuire. The story is a traditional retelling.

My thoughts: I really loved this one. I don't love the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty, though I do enjoy the use of Tchaikovsky's music. I loved that there wasn't a villain (or villainess) to fight. When the hundred years was over, the Prince came as if by instinct, and the thorns and briars parted to allow him through. He kissed her hand, and she awoke. I loved the ending, "Life returned to the sleeping palace, where happiness had always been waiting. It just took Time." Beautifully stated, right?!?!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: