Thursday, November 2, 2017

School Bus

School Bus. Donald Crews. 1984. 32 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: Yellow school buses large and small. Empty yellow buses cross the town. STOP. GO. Going this way. Going that way. Here it comes. See you later. Full buses head for school.

Premise/plot: Donald Crews gives us a day in the life of a school bus. The book comes full circle, beginning and ending with empty buses gone 'home again' in a parking lot.

My thoughts: This book is very yellow. It doesn't have the same rhythm and rhyme thing going for it as Freight Train does. Nor is it really a concept book like Freight Train was. (Freight Train is about COLORS.) The language is simple. I think little ones could definitely learn to read this one.

The art is simple, perhaps a little too simple. It does give us a diverse group of people waiting for buses, riding the buses, getting off the buses, etc.  While there could be some pros perhaps to having all the humans lack facial features, I prefer faces.

I'm not sure I'd call this book "dandy entertainment" like Publishers Weekly did back in the day. In fact, I doubt I've used the word DANDY even once in one of my reviews.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: