Saturday, November 11, 2017

I Took My Frog to the Library

I Took My Frog to the Library. Eric A. Kimmel. Illustrated by Blanche Sims. 1990. 32 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: I took my frog to the library, but he jumped on the checkout desk and scared the librarian. I took my hen to the library, but she laid an egg in the card catalog.

Premise/plot: Bridgett loves, loves, loves to go to the library. So do her animals. The librarian isn't so happy to see the animals. Can Bridgett find a way to make her animals AND the librarian happy?

My thoughts: I really loved this one. I love stories that follow a pattern. That is I love picture books and early readers that follow a pattern. The pattern here, of course, is "I took my _____ to the library, but _________________." I think parents and teachers could take advantage of the silliness and have little ones write their own stories. And the stories wouldn't even have to be only about the library.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: