Saturday, October 14, 2017

Not Quite Narwhal

Not Quite Narwhal. Jessie Sima. 2017. 36 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Kelp was born deep in the ocean. He knew early on that he was different from the other narwhals. His tusk wasn't as long as everyone else's, he had different tastes in food, and he wasn't a very good swimmer. But his friends didn't seem to mind, so Kelp decided he wouldn't either.

Premise/plot: Kelp, the hero of Jessica Sima's Not Quite Narwhal, is a unicorn being raised by narwhals. Of course, he doesn't know he's really a unicorn. And he meets other unicorns almost by accident. He thinks they are land narwhals. Does Kelp belong in the sea or on land? Which family does he really belong to?

My thoughts: It was okay. I know that there are hundreds of reviews saying this is the best book ever. But me, I didn't feel it. I liked it okay. Perhaps I would have loved it if I had a special "love" for unicorns?

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: