Friday, September 1, 2017

Simone Biles

Simone Biles. Matt Scheff. 2016. [Dec. 2016] Sportzone. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: US Gymnast Simone Biles had work to do.

Premise/plot: This title is one in the Olympic Stars nonfiction series. It opens and closes with the 2016 Olympics. In between readers learn a little about Simone Biles--her personal background, her work ethic, her athletic career.

My thoughts: The book is definitely reader-friendly. Love the use of photographs throughout. I'd say the audience is elementary school. It includes a timeline, a glossary, and an index. I have personally LOVED, LOVED, LOVED watching gymnastics since I was five or six. I love both the Winter Olympics and the Summer Olympics. I love hearing the personal stories of the athletes. So this one was an easy choice for me.
© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: