Friday, August 4, 2017

Board book: Train

Train. Chris Demarest. 1996/2017. HMH. 16 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Train chugs, clickety-clack. Engine up front, caboose in back. Pass farms, cows moo. Over hills. Choo! Choo!

Premise/plot: A little girl takes a train ride. What does she see? What does she hear?

My thoughts: The text of this one is simple. How simple? Two to three words per page. (Mostly two words per page.) I will say this--briefly--that this board book doesn't use complete sentences to tell a story. I am not sure how many actual complete sentences the book has. But I do know that "Over hills" is not a complete sentence by any stretch of the imagination. Still, for little ones this one may work just fine. It's definitely focused on rhythm and rhyme. If your little one loves, loves, loves all things train, I'd recommend this one to supplement your daily exposure to FREIGHT TRAIN.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: