Friday, August 11, 2017

Board book: Good Night, Sweetie

Good Night, Sweetie. Joyce Wan. 2017. Scholastic. 14 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: You are my wish upon a star. My bright, shining moon from afar.

Premise/plot: Good Night, Sweetie is a sweet, glittery bedtime board book.

My thoughts: Joyce Wan has written a handful of board books. My favorite by far is You Are My Cupcake. What I loved about You Are My Cupcake was that you could easily, effortlessly sing it to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine." (True you might have to add a syllable or two. But still easy for anyone who loves to sing.) None of Wan's other books have matched it as far as that is concerned. But my love for You Are My Cupcake is so strong and I have so many deep, strong, happy-happy emotions embedded in my memory that every time I see Wan's illustrations I get excited and hopeful.

Good Night, Sweetie is a good enough book, I suppose. The illustrations are super-sweet. But the book definitely is lacking in the rhythm and rhyme department. There's one spread that just feels like it's lacking a word. "My kissable, squeezable, cuddly" is how I read. And I want to say cuddly WHAT? You? Boo? Bear? Bunny? Lamb?

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: