Thursday, July 20, 2017

Maisy Goes Swimming

Maisy Goes Swimming. Lucy Cousins. 2017. Candlewick. 16 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Maisy is getting ready to go swimming at the pool. Take off her blue hat and scarf. Take off Maisy's brown boots. Open Maisy's red coat. Open Maisy's gray sweater. Pull down her green pants.

Premise/plot: Maisy wants to go swimming. (I hope it's an indoor pool! Since Maisy seems to be dressed for WINTER.) She needs YOUR help to get undressed and into the pool.

My thoughts: I don't personally know why Maisy appeals to young readers. But. I know that she does. Maisy interactive books can see a lot of use! There's just something fun about "helping" Maisy do things. Whether it's helping her brush her teeth or flush the toilet OR in the case of Maisy Goes Swimming, getting her completely undressed and then putting her swimming suit on her. Still, I can't help but think it's a little weird that an author is actively encouraging me to pull someone's pants and underwear down!

© 2017 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: