Friday, January 28, 2011

A Dazzling Display of Dogs

A Dazzling Display of Dogs. Betsy Franco. Illustrated by Michael Wertz. 2011. Random House. 40 pages.

My Pal, Jazzy
No matter if I'm feeling blue,
My Jazzy thinks I'm great.
She wiggles, jiggles, jumps on me
When I'm through the gate!

A Dazzling Display of Dogs is a collection of themed (dog) concrete poems. Concrete poems are visually exciting to read and share with others. And the illustrations by Michael Wertz match the text quite well. If you're a dog lover, then this collection of poems is for you! A wide variety of dogs are represented within its pages! The style is light and fun. One of my favorites is "Letting Gwen In and Out." Then again, "Misleading Sign" was clever in its simplicity. And then there's "Old Jimbo Claims the Chair." And there's even a great poem for two voices: "Tigger On His Back." Yes, this is an enjoyable collection that I'm happy to recommend!

© 2011 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: