Saturday, November 6, 2010

Suggestions for Baby's Christmas

Are you looking for a gift for the little ones in your life? There are some great board books that I'd love to recommend!


First, I'd like to suggest Baby's Box of Fun. This is a boxed set of three Karen Katz books. Three of her very best books, I might add. It contains Toes, Ears, & Nose!, Where is Baby's Belly Button?, and Where is Baby's Mommy? These three would be a great introduction to Karen Katz. If your little one should happen to love them--to want to hear them again and again and again--to want to lift the flaps him/herself--then there are plenty of other titles you can buy next!


Another Karen Katz book that is a "must" in my opinion is What Does Baby Say? My review of this one.


Little Scholastic has a great series of board books for young readers age baby to 2. My favorites from that series include Numbers by Jill Ackerman and Colors by Justine Smith. (Also available, Alphabet by Justine Smith and Shapes by Justine Smith.)

You may also be interested in Little Scholastic's Five Little Ducks and Five Shiny Stars by Gabriella Buckingham. Both books sing!


Speaking of books that sing, you should definitely consider Lullaby and Good Night by Jill Ackerman! It's a fun choice for bedtime OR playtime!


Whether you choose to buy Leslie Patricelli's Baby's Book Tower, or the four titles individually--you really need to meet this adorable baby! I don't know if I could pick a favorite between No No Yes Yes, Baby Happy Baby Sad, Quiet Loud, Yummy Yucky.


And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bouncy Baby by Begin Smarts Books. I do. It's so rhythmic, it practically begs to be memorized.


For books that aren't quite books--but aren't quite flashcards--I'd recommend Begin Smart's Baby Says and DK's My First Touch and Feel Picture Cards: First Words.


What do babies like to look at? Pictures of other babies! That's why I would definitely recommend David Salariya's All About Me! A Baby's Guide to Babies, Margaret Miller's Baby Faces, Margaret Miller's I Love Colors, Margaret Miller's Baby Food, and Margaret Miller's What's On My Head?


My final two recommendations are by Lorena Siminovich. There are two books in this series--so far! I Like Fruit and I Like Bugs! I was so excited to learn that they'll be other titles coming next year! Both are touch-and-feel books.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: