Friday, November 12, 2010

Here Comes Christmas

Here Comes Christmas! Caroline Jayne Church. 2010. Scholastic. 14 pages.

I go to bed on Christmas Eve and wonder: what will Santa leave?
A dragon who soars high with me?
A submarine beneath the sea?
A rocket ship up to the moon?

I was slightly disappointed with Here Comes Christmas! I remember liking Here Comes Easter more. I do like the illustrations. She's illustrated some great books for little ones--like I Love You Through and Through, How Do I Love You?, and Harriet Dancing.

In Here Comes Christmas, readers meet a little boy with BIG dreams. He's excited--anxious--about Christmas, about his Christmas presents. He CAN'T WAIT to see what Santa brings! He imagines so many different things. Will his dreams come true?

I can understand the wonder and anxiety of this one--a little boy who can't sleep because he's so excited about Santa coming--but I wanted a little more. Perhaps because I know the author has done more religious work in the past--Baby Jesus: A Touch and Feel Book, Creation: A Touch and Feel Book, Noah's Ark: A Touch and Feel Book, Lost Sheep: A Touch and Feel Book, Thank You Prayer, A Prayer a Day, etc. Still, I liked this one well enough.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: