Saturday, November 6, 2010

Clifford's First Christmas

Clifford's First Christmas. Norman Bridwell. 2010. Scholastic. 20 pages.


Back when Clifford was a really tiny puppy, we celebrated his first Christmas.
On Christmas Eve, we got out the decorations. 
I held down a branch so Clifford could hang a candy cane on it.
The tree looked beautiful.

I am not usually a Clifford fan. But I liked Clifford's First Christmas. More than I was expecting to at any rate! This board book--like so many other holiday titles--is a flashback. I don't "like" the illustrations. (That is one of the main reasons I don't like Clifford--the dog may seem cute enough--but the people, well, they're not all that attractive, especially at certain angles.) But I appreciated the details in this one. How disgruntled--how frustrated--the dad looks setting up the Christmas tree. He did win the battle--of how to get the tree in the stand--but it looked like it might have been a close call. And then there's the sneaking Emily and the playful Clifford. Both have trouble staying in bed. I liked some of the names of their presents too--like the Baby Boopsie "Tot in a Box" toy and the Crash Test Dummies set. Clifford's toy rat looks awful, horrifying--I can understand perfectly why he'd want Emily's presents instead.

Will Clifford and Emily meet Santa? What will they get for Christmas?


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: