Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Mommy Hung the Moon: A Love Story

My Mommy Hung the Moon. Jamie Lee Curtis. Illustrated by Laura Cornell. 2010. September 2010. HarperCollins. 40 pages.
My mommy hung the moon.
She tied it with string.
My mommy's good at
everything.

She lit up the sun,
so bright and so round.
She puffed out each cloud,
stretched trees from the ground.
This one is perfect for anyone who has ever thought their mom could do anything. Page after page, readers learn what "anything" might mean. It's very imaginative, very colorful, very bright, very silly--but silly in the from-the-heart way. My Mommy Hung the Moon is an exaggerated love story between child and parent.

While I didn't like the cover, I did like the illustrations--for the most part. My favorite spread? The big momma batch of cookies! It isn't my favorite picture book by Jamie Lee Curtis, but I did enjoy it. I liked the rhyming. My favorite?
She buzzed every bee.
She spun every spider.
She growled every bear.
She striped every tiger.
So I would recommend this one.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: