Monday, October 25, 2010

The Life of Rice: From Seedling to Supper

The Life of Rice: From Seedling to Supper. Richard Sobol. 2010. Candlewick. 40 pages.

My life as a photographer involves a lot of fast-paced travel followed by slower times at home as I review and edit my photographs.

I have enjoyed several of Richard Sobol's books. I find his photographs to be engaging and his text to be informative, and reader-friendly. This nonfiction book focuses on Thailand, on the importance of rice to Thailand--its people, its culture, its calendar even. It begins with an invitation to the Royal Plowing Ceremony. He accepts, of course, and thus begins his journey as he explores a culture and a grain. As he follows this important crop throughout the year--observing how nothing of this plant is wasted. I enjoyed this one. I found it informative and interesting--much more interesting than I thought it would be!

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

1 comment:

Peaceful Reader said...

I enjoyed this book-the photographs are amazing!