Monday, October 4, 2010

Knuffle Bunny Free


Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion. Mo Willems. 2010. September 2010. HarperCollins. 52 pages.
One day, not so long ago, Trixie took a big trip with her family. They were on their way to visit Trixie's "Oma" and "Opa" in Holland. So that meant taking a taxi to the airport, waiting in line, watching Knuffle Bunny go through the big machine, waiting some more, and (finally) getting onto a real airplane!
Trixie is back in her third adventure. She's lost Knuffle Bunny at the local laundromat, the local school, what's next? The airplane, of course! It has been a few years since Trixie went boneless at the loss of Knuffle Bunny. Her parents tell her again and again that she is bigger now. Her grandparents tell her again and again that she is bigger now. But is it true? Can Trixie be okay without Knuffle Bunny by her side? (It helps when Trixie dreams of Knuffle Bunny having adventures in China--the next destination for that plane. It does NOT help when Oma and Opa try to buy her a replacement bunny--that speaks Dutch and dances!)

It's not quite what I was expecting. To be honest. Because I wasn't expecting Trixie to be this mature. To be okay with her loss this time. I think this surprises her parents a bit too! I'm not sure I loved it. Not in the same way I loved the first one or the second. But I liked it.

The art--like always--is fabulous! My favorite illustration? Trixie in the bathtub! My favorite twist? Reading Trixie's "first letter." When you read the book--be sure to read this letter! It might be easy to miss.

The Knuffle Bunny books should be read in order. My reviews of Knuffle Bunny and Knuffle Bunny Too.



© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: