Thursday, October 14, 2010

Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody


Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody. Michael Rex. 2010. May 2010. Penguin. 32 pages.
George was a great big ape. He lived in a beautiful jungle.
One day a man in a funny hat saw George and said, "Ooh, What a big monkey. I want him."
The man made a pile of bananas.
When George went to eat the bananas, the man threw a sack over him.
"I got you!" said the man.
The man tried to lift George, but George was too heavy. So the man cut holes in the sack and took George out of the jungle.
Michael Rex is the author of two other parodies: Goodnight Goon and The Runaway Mummy. I enjoyed reading Furious George Goes Bananas. I enjoyed reading his interpretation of Curious George. It was interesting to see which elements from the original series got highlighted in the parody. One of the things that is stressed throughout is that George is not a monkey. He doesn't have a tail. It reminded me of one of my favorite Veggie songs, Monkey.


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: