Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy


Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy by Denise Fleming. 2010. August 2010. Henry Holt. 32 pages.

Tiny baby panda,
sleepy, oh so sleepy.

Tiny baby ostrich,
sleepy, oh so sleepy.

Tiny baby lion,
sleepy, oh so sleepy.

Where is my sleepy baby?


In Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy, young readers meet many baby animals who are sleepy before finally meeting the young (human) baby in the closing pages.

I loved this one. I just LOVED it. I love the gentleness of it, the sweetness. The rhythm. The repetition. It's predictable, yes, and simple. But that is just what it should be.

A good bedtime book should make you sleepy, should make you yawn. (Like my all-time favorite Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book.) This one worked for me--both the illustrations and the writing.


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: