Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Pirate's Guide to First Grade


A Pirate's Guide to First Grade. By James Preller. Illustrated by Greg Ruth. Feiwel and Friends. 48 pages.
Arrr!
Shiver me timbers, what a slobberin' moist mornin'!
Me great scurvy dog slurped me kisser
when I was tryin' t' get me winks!
While I was wipin' the slime from me gob,
I remembered 'twas the first day of school.
I leaped out of bed...
shined me snappers,
and got dressed double quick.
What a strange little book! The good news? It is exactly what it looks like. So if you love pirates, if you know someone who loves pirates, then this is the picture book for you. Pirates fill each and every page of this one. Of course, the pirates are in one little boy's imagination. And this redheaded boy sure does love pirates!

The narrative is strong in A Pirate's Guide to First Grade.
Me mother was soggy with fare-thee-wells,
fussing over this, that, and the other thing.
"Fair winds!" I exclaimed and headed for me ship.
And a great, grand jolly boat it was!
The 'jolly' boat in question? The yellow school bus.

There is a glossary in the back of the book for those interested in "pirate homework."

I didn't love this one. I thought it very strange. But. It might work better for other readers.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: