Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Amazing Baby Clap and Sing


Amazing Baby: Clap and Sing. Emma Dodd. 2007. Silver Dolphin. 12 pages.

Rhyme time, baby, sing with me...
Clap your hands--one, two, three!
This board book features a collection of songs for young children. The CD features fifteen songs--almost a full forty minutes of music. The board book features the lyrics for all the songs on the album.

Rhyme Time, Baby, Sing With Me
Hey Diddle, Diddle
Round and Round the Garden
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
One, Two, Three, Four, Five
Baa Baa Black Sheep
I Had A Little Nut Tree
Mary Had a Little Lamb
The Grand Old Duke Of York
Little Miss Muffet
The Itsy Bitsy Spider
Sing a Song of Sixpence
Bobby Shafto
Pat-a-Cake
Old MacDonald Had A Farm

Some will probably be familiar to you. But just because you recognize the lyrics, doesn't mean that you'll recognize the song--the melody. Because these arrangements are different to say the least.

I'd describe the album as unexpected. Songs you expect to be fast are slower--much slower. (I have never heard a slower version of Row, Row, Row Your Boat. And Hey Diddle, Diddle, I expected to be a bit faster. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I sing it that way I suppose.) Some songs have quite a soulful/jazzy feel. (Especially Mary Had A Little Lamb and The Itsy Bitsy Spider). And others sound rap-inspired. Some seem to defy all description. (What can I say about their version of Old MacDonald Had A Farm?! Or Little Miss Muffet?!)

You may not like every song on the album. (I'd be surprised if you did.) But you'll probably enjoy some of the songs at least.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: