Friday, May 28, 2010

Oh The Places You'll Go!


Oh the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. 1990/2010. Random House. 56 pages.

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.


It has been years since I last read Dr. Seuss' Oh, the Places You'll Go. I had forgotten how good, how true this little picture book is. It is not one that often comes to mind when I think of Seuss--though that may seem silly. Since it comes back around each and every year at graduation time. In many ways, this is classic Seuss. Silly-looking people and creatures, silly but oh-so-rhythmic text. But there is a good dose of reality in this oh-so-silly book.

Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
Except when you don't.
Because, sometimes, you won't.

I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, it's true
that Bang-ups
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.
It is good at balancing everything. I'll admit that if it kept going in that wow, you'll get everything you've ever wanted, ever dreamed of, because you deserve it line of thought--I would have been sickened. I couldn't recommend a book like that. Life is life. It's not all good, it's not all bad. This book I can recommend quite easily.


© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: