Thursday, April 29, 2010

Princesses Are Not Perfect


Princesses Are Not Perfect. Kate Lum. Illustrated by Sue Hellard. 2010. March 2010. Bloomsbury. 32 pages.
Once there were three princesses: Princess Allie, Princess Mellie, and Princess Libby. They lived in a rose-covered palace by the sea. They weren't the kind of princesses who sit around doing nothing. They were very busy. They grew things in the garden, baked things in the kitchen, and built things in the workshop. Each princess had her specialty.
What happens when these three princesses decide to switch jobs one day? They each learn that princesses are not perfect, that each princess has their own special talent, their own gift, that certain something that makes them special, unique. And of course, they learn it is best to do what they love.

I liked this one. I didn't expect to like it. The illustrations didn't seem all that inviting--to me--a bit too busy perhaps. But once I started reading this one, I found it be charming.

This one is a follow-up to Princesses Are Not Quitters (2003).

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

1 comment:

The1stdaughter said...

I'm with you, just by the title alone I don't think I would have LOVED this one, but your review makes it sound great! I will definitely be on the lookout on my next trip to the library. Thanks!