Friday, January 1, 2010

Too Purpley


Too Purpley. By Jean Reidy. Illustrated by Genevieve Leloup. Bloomsbury USA. 32 pages.

NOT THESE CLOTHES!

The heroine of this fun little picture book is a little girl who isn't quite sure what she wants to wear...but she sure knows what she DOESN'T want to wear. As she tries on dozens of outfits, each one has something wrong with it...

Too purpley,
Too tickly,
Too puckery,
Too prickly.


Will this pig-tail-loving little heroine ever find clothes that are just right to wear? I loved this one. (It could be that I'm partial to pig-tails. But I think it goes much deeper than that.) This one is fun and colorful. Getting dressed can be a struggle between parents and children, and this scenario feels right to me. It's something that I think people can relate to.

I just love, love, love the fun illustrations. So bright, so bold, so colorful, so very right. They complement the story so well.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: