Monday, January 11, 2010

Nonfiction Monday: Tarra & Bella


Tarra & Bella. The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends. By Carol Buckley. 2009. (September 2009). Penguin. 32 pages.

Meet Tarra, the elephant, and Bella, the dog who won her heart.

This is a sweet story--a true story at that--about friendship. Who would have thought--who could have known that a dog could be best friends with an elephant? Tarra and Bella live at an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee.

What did I love about this one? Besides the sweet story I mean? Well, I loved the photographs. They are the heart and soul of this one.

In addition to the story--which has appeal for elephant lovers of all ages--we also have the opportunity to learn more about elephant sanctuaries.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

5 comments:

sally said...

Oh, I love elephants. I have an elephant collection. And I love dogs, too. Who doesn't love dogs? So how could do much better than an elephant and dog book? Yikes! I'll have to check this one out.

Sarah N. said...

So cute! This looks like one my girls would love!

Anna M. said...

I really love this story.

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is too cute to pass up even if it appears to be jumping on the Owen and Mzee bandwagon. I mean, there have been unusual animal friendship books before that one. Remember Koko's Kitten?

Becky said...

Oh I just love, love, loved Koko's Kitten :)