Monday, November 2, 2009

My Elephant


Horacek, Petr. 2009. My Elephant. Candlewick Press. (Releases November 2009)

What's a boy to do when his family is to busy to play with him? Why play with his elephant of course! Here's how it starts off:

I asked Grandpa to play ball with me, but he was too busy.
I went to see Grandma, but she was busy, too.
So I asked my elephant if he wanted to play with me.
The elephant agrees, of course, but this pair doesn't necessarily stay out of trouble. The flower bed gets messed up, the hallway gets messed up, the orange juice is spilled, the cupcakes get eaten, the bathroom gets all messy too. But no one seems to believe the boy's "my elephant did it" excuse.

I love, love, love this one. And those three loves still don't do it justice. I grew up loving The Gorilla Did It. But I think I might love this one a little bit more. Perhaps because it stars an elephant instead. (I love, love, love elephants.) But also because the illustrations are just incredibly fun and perfect and oh-so-right. Definitely recommended.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: