Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Me and You


Cote, Genevieve. 2009. Me and You. Kids Can Press.

This is a simple (yet reaffirming) story that I just loved. (If it seems I've turned super-enthusiastic the past few days, it's just that I've had a run of good luck. I've been discovering lots of new favorites!) It stars a pink pig (adorable) and a white bunny (again, adorable). The book begins with these two painters looking at each other with envy. Both want to be like the other one.

I wish I were just like you.
I wish I were just like you.


The bunny "would love to bright pink." And the pig, of course, would love to be "the palest shade of white." From their ears and tails to noses and toes, these two want to switch everything...

Until they realize that they're happier being themselves.

I like it better when you are you!
And I like it better when you are you!

It ends sweetly,

I am me and you are you.
That's why we love
each other, me and you!


Some might think this one is too cute for its own good. I'm not among them. I just loved, loved, loved the sweetness of this one. It's cute and adorable and sweet, yes. But it's also true.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: