Monday, July 27, 2009

Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt


Catrow, David. 2009. Dinosaur Hunt. Scholastic.

There is something so joyful about Dinosaur Hunt, a new early reader published by Scholastic that is written and illustrated by David Catrow. (Dare I hope it's only the beginning of a new series?!) The book stars Max. But I should let him speak for himself,
"My name is Max. I am not a dog."
If he's not a dog, then what is he?
"I am a great hunter. I love to hunt dinosaurs. I hunt with my ears. I hunt with my eyes. I hunt with my nose."
When he fails to find any dinosaurs in the house, he decides to go hunting outside. Can he find a dinosaur outside in his yard? What do you think?

I love Max. I just LOVE him. I find his silliness charming. And his enthusiasm. And his determination. I can't help myself. I just do. And of course I love, love, love the illustrations. They're smart and clever and fun. This one just works for me. I can't recommend it enough.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: