Monday, September 24, 2007

Five Shiny Stars


Several months ago, Scholastic started a new line of books specifically for babies and toddlers called Little Scholastic. (Read what Publishers Weekly had to say here.) From the very first book I received, I loved this new series, this new line. Today I am highlighting Five Shiny Stars. It is in many ways a simple concept book. The concept? Counting backwards from five. The surprise? Well, let's just say there is a surprise ending that is sure to delight readers young and old.

Five shiny stars were twinkling at the cat,
Looking very pretty in the sky like that.
One of the stars found the perfect place to hide...
Leaving four shiny stars and a cloud outside.


The illustrations are great. I love the cat. (Then again, I've always been a cat person). And I think that the rhyming, rhythmic text is perfect. The repetition is fun as well. As the same words are repeated for each number...

Four shiny stars were twinkling at the cat,
Looking very pretty in the sky like that.
One of the stars found the perfect place to hide...
Leaving three shiny stars and some clouds outside.


I think you can get the basic idea now. I'm sure this one will be a hit with the big "surprise" at the end. This book is a real treat.

No comments: