Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From Dawn to Dreams: Poems For Busy Babies


From Dawn to Dreams: Poems For Busy Babies by Peggy Archer. Illustrated by Hanako Wakiyama. Published by Candlewick.

From Dawn to Dreams: Poems for Busy Babies is a delightful picture book featuring poems that chronicle the details of baby's world from...you guessed it...morning to night. I enjoyed the rhythm and flow of these poems...particularly those in "Messy Baby."

Sippy, drippy apple juice
Dribbling down my chin.
Slurpy, burpy.
Icky sticky.
Big, sloppy grin!


That was the first of three stanzas. (But I think you've got the idea.) The poems have great images. Great rhythms. They're just very fun. Subjects include waking up, eating, crawling and walking, playing, laughing, exploring, napping, going for a ride in the car, taking a bath, rocking, and crib time. I like the fact that both parents played a role in this baby's day. And I liked the fact that some of the poems even mention grandparents and siblings...and pets. (There is both a cat AND a dog.) And the illustrations are good--very retro. I like the feel of them. Very soft. Very pastel. Very cute.



Overall, I really enjoyed this one!

No comments: